- 3 pound beef roast
- cooking oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Turn the grill on high and allow it to heat up for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rub the roast with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper on both sides. Other seasoning can be added if desired.
- When the grill is heated, place the roast over the direct heat and sear each side for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once seared, move to an area of indirect heat by leaving one side on medium-high heat and turning off the other side on a gas grill. Place the roast on the side that is turned off. On a charcoal grill hot coals should be moved to one area and the roast should be placed over the area where there are no coals.
- Cover the grill and allow the roast to cook for about 1 hour for a medium rare 2-3 lb. roast. The temperature of the grill should be around 400° F. Check for doneness with a thermopro meat thermometer. For medium rare – 145°, medium – 160°, and well done – 170°. Cook for approximately 1 1/2 for medium and 2 hours for well done.
- Be sure to check for doneness often because timing can vary depending on roast size and heat of the grill.
- Roast should be removed from the grill when it is approximately 5° below desired temperature and then be allowed to set for 15 minutes before carving. In this time the temperature will rise approximately another 5°.
- Carve and serve warm.