- 3-pound boneless pork shoulder, butt, or sirloin roast
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 3 cups BBQ sauce
- Cut the pork roast into 4-inch pieces (optional, but this will help it cook faster and more evenly). Season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper.
- The following are slow cooker directions: pour water or broth and liquid smoke into the appliance. Place pork inside. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours, until the pork is fall-apart tender.
- Pressure Cooker Directions: For a more concentrated flavor, use 1 cup of water or broth. Add the liquid smoke and pork to an electric pressure cooker. Make sure the lid is secure and set the valve to sealing before cooking on high pressure for 55-60 minutes. After 10 minutes have passed, let the pressure naturally release (or wait until it’s completely released). Use the quick release method for any remaining pressure.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker or pressure cooker and set it aside on a plate. Use a fork to shred the meat into pieces, discarding any large chunks of fat. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker or pressure cooker and add BBQ sauce. Heat through for 5-10 minutes, or keep on warm until ready to serve.
- Try serving these burgers on buns with extra barbecue sauce for a delicious twist.